Monday, March 21, 2011

The Gift of Hindsight

I had a moment of clarity reading this week's topic: We know that one of the major strength of the Weight Watchers program is that it's so flexible, it can fit any lifestyle.

What does that mean really? That means that you don't have to mold yourself to it, you can mold it to you. Of course you have to change certain behavior, switch some habits around, add a few new ones, but you don't have to make a revolution in who you are, and how you live your life.

You are not following the program, it is following you.

The trick is determining what it is that works for YOU. The only way to really learn what works for you and what doesn't is to look back at your previous weight loss efforts. What worked well? What tripped you up? What did you enjoy? What did you really didn't enjoy that much?

This week we will take a look at ourselves and see if we can learn from experience to make a better today and tomorrow. This is YOUR plan and YOUR lifestyle. Figure out what works for you and see how you can use that knowledge to make this work for you.


March Challenge

What new thing will you try this week? A new exercise? Food? Recipe?

The goal is to try 1 new thing every week, something big, something simple, a little change or a big one.

Share your discoveries with us, we want to know!


Tool of the week

It's the last week of the super sale on the Mini Bars, the Smoothies and the Oatmeal. Don't forget to stock up!
Let me know what you want and I'll make sure to bring in extras!

In the Kitchen

I get a lot of questions about grains. I use grains a lot, and often people tell me that they would like to experiment, but aren't sure how. I thought it might be helpful to give a little "How to" of my favorite grains.

I cook grains with very little fat if any. Some will say that you need to add oil (or butter) to this, see what you like and go from there. This is how "I" like to cook them.

Bulgur:
(also bulghur or burghul) is a cereal food made from several different wheat species, most often from durum wheat. Its use is most common in Middle Eastern cuisine, Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria. Bulgur is easier to find than ever, but best bet is health food stores, specialized groceries etc.

Uses: I use instead of rice (in anything) or in tabbouleh.

Cooking:
I put 1 cup of bulgur in a tupperware along with salt, pepper and whatever spices I want (I like a little cumin, but since I make it in batches, I try not to over spice so it will go with anything).Add 1 1/2 cup of boiling broth (generally veg. but chicken will do). I set it aside, covered for 40-45 minutes. Fluff, serve what you want, put the rest in the fridge for further use. It makes about 4 cups (depending on how big the grain is, how old it is, etc).

Quinoa:
is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds it is closely related to species such as beets, spinach, and tumbleweeds. It can be a little hard to find sometimes, Whole foods or Rainbow Groceries are your best bet. There is red and white Quinoa.

Uses: Quinoa is loaded with proteins, so it's very filling. I like to use Quinoa as a side dish with vegetables, but also as the main staple in my lunches. I now use red Quinoa almost exclusively because it looks cooler. There is no significant difference in nutritional value. ;o)

Cooking
Rinse the grain thoroughly for a minute or two. That removes saponins that can still be on the grain and makes digestion a little difficult.On the stovetop, bring 2 cups of broth to a boil, put in the rinsed Quinoa and lower flame to a simmer. Let cook for 14-18 minutes. You will see the germ separating from the seed when it's ready (little circles).

Note: Quinoa can be a little tricky at first, but it's delicious and very filling!

Couscous:
couscous granules are usually made by rolling moistened coarsely ground semolina wheat into small balls, which are then coated with finely ground wheat flour.You can find is pretty much anywhere. There is whole wheat, and regular. I use whole wheat myself as it is much more tasty.

Uses: Couscous is fabulous to eat along with stew because it absorbs the juices and the flavor so easily.

Cooking
You can't get easier than couscous. Add 1 1/2 cup of boiling broth to 1 cup of couscous, cover and let sit 5 minutes. Add 1 tsp of olive oil (and a little lemon juice is good too) salt and pepper and fluff with a fork. Et voila! People usually put butter in couscous, I don't. Your call!

Steel Cut Oats
Steel-cut oats are whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into only two or three pieces by steel rather than being rolled. They are golden in color and resemble small rice pieces.

Uses: I start a batch of SCO on Sunday everything to give me breakfast for the week. I'll put in a dollop of Greek yogurt and different toppings.. Favorites: slices of apples, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg; pureed pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices; Banana, raisins, caramel (shhhhh!). The possibilities are endless really!

Cooking (several days worth)
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil, add a pinch of salt and a stick of cinnamon. Add 1 cup of Steel cut oats and boil for about 1 minutes. Turn off the fire, cover the pot with the lid, let sit on the stove overnight.
The following morning, take what you need, mix with toppings, and put the rest in a sealed tupperware in the fridge for future use.

Note about grains:
It's sort of difficult to give you the PointsPlus value of grains because amount varies so much. The way I count it, I find the PointsPlus value of my start amount, dry, and then divide that by the number of portions I make. Use E-tools on that one, much easier!

Activity

The Walk it Challenge is coming in April!! It's time to take a good look at your walking shoes, look up your walking routes, find the perfect time to walk.

Spring is there (who would have known after this weekend rain?) and with the time change we have a little more time of daylight every night!

My plan is to go out and walk every night that it's not raining for at least 45 minutes.
What is YOUR plan?

Tools:
Pedometer: Did I ever mention that I love the pedometer? I forgot it every day last week, and was so bummed since I walked so much. So back on it goes!

Map my walk/run/ride:
http://www.mapmywalk.com/
You can map your walk/run and figure out how many miles/Km you are walking, even the terrain!

What do you do to stay active? What's your favorite activity. Weight loss/management isn't only about food!!

Have a great week!

Spring is there! It's beautiful, clean, wet! HA! Take a deep breath, feel the energy, enjoy the light! It's time to revive ourselves and get going! Hibernation is over! It might be a Canadian thing ;o)

I am always available by email, you can also look up my meeting schedule at:seamountains.net/mtg.html

Have an awesome week!! See you in the meeting room.

Melanie

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.”
Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment