Sunday, March 13, 2011

Deprivation is a Don't!

Embarking on a weight management journey can be intimidating. I remember thinking that I would have to be miserable, hungry, eating broccoli, lettuce and plain grilled chicken all the time. Oh the deprivation!!! I heard once somebody say "Losing weight is easy, you just eat as much as you want of something you don't like". Riiiight! Well, maybe that would work for a time, but I don't see myself maintain something like that, do you?

The key to long term weight management is to find a lifestyle that works for you. That means finding a way to eat that is healthy and that is satisfying. It's not as hard as it sounds! Whether you cook everything from scratch, or you eat straight out of a can (or a box) you can always find a way to make your meals and snacks satisfying. Losing weight does not equal deprivation, quite the contrary!

This week we will explore the different ways we can eat healthfully, for weight loss and for satisfaction!

March Challenge

The challenge for the month of March is to try something new every week. A new food, a new activity, a new snack, a new way of doing something. It doesn't have to be big, it doesn't have to be complicated, it only has to be new!

What will you try this week?

This last week I tried a new lunch spot! We had lunch at the Warm Hut Cafe at Crissy Fields. We had delicious sandwiches that we ate outside at the picnic tables watching the kids play and making friend with several puppies (we had Grace with us). Fun, fun, FUN!

I'm still trying to decide for this week! I was hoping to find something new at the Fort Mason farmer's market, but I didn't really. Maybe Wednesday at the Civic Center Market.

I'm thinking I will be trying a new recipe as I have 2 new cookbooks in hand, and 2 more coming in a few days!! I shall be reporting on that next week!

Tool of the week:

Have you looked at the Easy Measure set yet? Those are pre-measured serving spoons that makes your life so much easier!


The bigger spoon holds 1 cup, the smaller spoon holds 1/2 cup, and the ladle holds 1/4 cup. No need to go from the pot, to the spoon, to the measuring cup, to the spoon, the plate. Saves you time (and tons of cleaning!). Not only that, but the stainless steel actually looks neat! Nobody needs to know that they are measuring tools!

Let me know if you want a set of those, I will bring them to your meeting!

In the Kitchen

Feeling a little creative? I like interesting looking food. I feel that how my food looks impact strongly on how satisfied I really am with what I eat. That can sometimes mean long complicated preparation, and sometimes not!

This is a recipe I tried recently and I really enjoyed, both for its simple taste and its funky look! It will come out brightly colored by the beets, it's supposed to! I served that with white fish which I steamed in a bamboo steamer with broccoli and zucchini.

Scarlet Barley
6 servings, 3P+/serving

Ingredients
1 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup pearl barley, rinsed
2 1/2 cup vegetable broth
1/4 tsp salt
1 beet (about 3/4 pound), grated
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Fresh dill, for garnish (optional)

Preheat a 2 quart pot over medium heat. Saute the garlic in the olive oil for about 30 seconds. Add several pinches of pepper and the bay lead. Add the barley, broth, and salt; cover and bring to a boil. Once boilingm stir and lower the heat to low. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When most of the water has absorbed, mix in the grated beet. Cook for about 20 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat, mix in the lemon juice, and taste for salt. Cover and let sit for about 10 more minutes. Remove the bay lead and serve topped with fresh dill.

Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz 2011, p. 69


Event this week:

Do not forget that we have the Quick Cooking with PointsPlus event this Sunday (the 20th) at 11am at the Stonestown center!

Have fun learning about the tools, tips and tricks that will save you a bundle of time in the kitchen while cooking tasty healthy meals!

Activity

I'm still on my walking phase. Friday i walked from the downtown center at 50, 1st street to home. Saturday we went to play tourist at Crissy Fields my husband, my dog and I. Both days I passed the 18 000 steps! We visited Fort Point, I had never seen it!

These are not "work outs" per say. It's more like I happen to be moving while I'm doing my favorite thing: exploring San Francisco! (and people watching, but that's not nearly as PC... hehe).

How about that? Pick a visiting spot you haven't seen yet, or that you haven't seen in a long time and walk it!

What activity do you truly enjoy?

If you are planning to walk Bay to Breakers with us, start thinking about your outfit! "My dream" that's the theme!

Have a good week!

Never fear to email me if you need anything. We are making March the Weight Watchers month of stick-to-it-iveness! Make sure to come to the meeting so that we can keep ourselves motivated and inspired to achieve our goals!

See you in the meeting room!

Melanie Bourgeois
Leader

“What does not satisfy when we find it, was not the thing we were desiring.”
~ C.S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment