Thursday, July 22, 2010

Snack Savvy

It’s 10:30 in the morning, breakfast is long gone, lunch is another 2 hours away and you have a big meeting in 15 minutes. Your stomach is growling, you’re out of energy (and out of patience!), you’ve drank 4 coffees to no avail. Now what?

Have you ever been in a similar situation? What happened?

This week we are going to talk about how being snack savvy can really make a difference. If you have any great snack finds, tell us about them! This is team work!

Tool of the week

Speaking of snacking! If like me you are a “salt bug” you will totally love the Baked Snacks!


They are crunchy, salty and delicious! They also come in pre-portioned little packs. No big bag to lure you into eating more than you should!

I always have one of those little bags in my car or in my bag right along with my Mini Bar and my Fruities!

What’s going on?

Would you believe it’s the end of July already? Seriously?

The Catch the Wave Promotion is still going on full force in the San Francisco territory! Come and get your star to be part of the raffle at the end of August!

Registration to a center or traveler meeting is $1 (instead of $20 joining fee). Summer is the slow season at WW, perfect time to join when the lines are shorter, and the rooms are less crowded. Get the deal and beat the September crowd!

In the Kitchen

Last week I sent you the Quick Jalapeno Corn Soup, so I figured that I might as well give you the Salad that comes with it in the Meals in Minute cookbook (2003).

This salad, along with the soup, makes a very filling meal. For some reason it’s the perfect “after beach” meal. It calls for poached chicken, I’ve been known to use any leftover chicken I can put my hands on. You just don’t want it to be so spicy that it overpowers everything else.

Mexican Chicken Salad
4 servings, 5 pts/serving

Ingredients
1 TBSP fresh lime juice
4 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled
¾ tsp chili powder
¾ lbs poached chicken, cut in 1 inch chunks
1 tomato, seeded and cut into ½ inch cubes*
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
2 scallions, minced (white and light green only)
2 TBSP minced cilantro
2 cup shredded romaine lettuce

*I cut the tomato in ¼ s and lightly squeeze the juice out of them so it’s not soggy before I chop them. Learned that from Sam the cooking guy on Discovery Health!

Directions
1-To make the dressing**, put the lime juice in a small bowl. Drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly. Press in the garlic with a garlic press and add the chili powder; whisk thoroughly.

2- In a large bowl combine the chicken, tomato, avocado, scallions and cilantro. Pour the dressing over and toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until the flavors are blended, at least 2 hours.

3- Divide the lettuce among 4 plates and mound the chicken salad on top.

I usually will make this salad (and the soup) in the morning and warm it up for dinner. It tastes better when it has rested for a while.

** I would make the dressing first, then make the salad, cutting the avocado last, and add the dressing right away. That way the avocado doesn’t have time to brown. ;o)

At Work Corner

My Summer of Organization is still full on and I am happy to report that I’m making great progress!

I have a large number of food scales, Easy Measure (the spoons!) and cookbooks. If you need any of these, let me know!

I also found a few member kits (Yay for organization!) both the basic kits, and the Deluxe Kits. I will drop those at a center unless some of you need it.

If there is anything that you need, please let me know and I will gladly bring it for you. If I know ahead, I can grab whatever I don’t have from a center (shhhhhh!) and bring it to you.

I try to keep weekly material at every location, but if there’s a weekly book (1 to 10, Maintenance, Lifetime) that you need, again let me know.

If for any reason you can't make your meeting at work, you are more than welcome to attend a meeting at any center - traveler. You have paid for it already!

You can find meetings close to home or to your vacation site at:
www.weightwatchers.com

Here are my meetings:
http://seamountains.net/mtg.html


Have an awesome week!

If you need anything just email me, I’m there for you!

Have a grand week!! Be good, but not too much! HA!

Melanie
Leader


“Knowledge is power and enthusiasm pulls the switch.”
Steve Droke

No comments:

Post a Comment