Monday, May 23, 2011

Don't wait for... whatever! Just do it!

When it comes to exercise, the things that I hear the most ofter are things like: “Motivate me” or “Inspire me” or “How do I get started”. It seems like we stand there, thinking: “I need to do that”, but we just stay there and wait for… something. What are we waiting for? Why is it so hard to get started?

My answer to that is always “Just do it”. Do something, take that first step and see where it’ll take you. It never seem to make sense to people. “Easy to say, but I can’t be active because I don’t have a gym membership, I don’t have work out clothes, I can’t afford the Bowflex and all its cousins. I don’t have the time, I don’t have the money, I don’t have the motivation. I don’t, I don’t, I don’t! STOP IT ALREADY!

Bottom line is, your body doesn’t care how busy you are, how much money you have, or how motivated, or unmotivated you are. Your body responds to what you do. So go ahead, JUST DO IT. No need to do it fancy, no need to do it pricy, JUST DO IT!

This week, we are figuring out how to JUST DO IT, and KEEP IT UP for weight loss success and a lifelong maintenance. Be there!


Tool of the week

Gym not your thing? You have to fit a work out between laundry, cooking, and kids homework? Take a look at our Punch Fitness kit?


The kit has a pair of weighed gloves (3/4 of a lbs each), a DVD with 3 complete workouts with a qualified trainer and real people (not gym bunnies!). Whether you are using the workouts themselves, or just wearing the gloves while doing your normal activities (it works!) this kit is a perfect excuse buster!


In the Kitchen

These skewers are delicious, a little goes a long way as they are packed with flavor! For Memorial day, it's neat to have something tasty and healthy on the grill!

These makes 8 servings of about 3 oz each (cooked). I will usually serve these with the Ginger Chicken Yakitori (last week), a grain salad and a vegetable side. For about 12-15 PointsPlus, I have a full delicious filling meal, and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing. When everybody is scarfing down burgers, I like to have little servings of different things. Makes me feel like I'm having a lot of food and still remain right on plan.

Molasse-Glazed Beef Kebabs
8 servings (or 6), 5 P+/serving (or 7P+)

Ingredients
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
2 garlic cloves minced (or pressed)
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 lbs trimmed beef steak (round), in 2 inches cubes

Tool: Metal skewers (on high heat, bamboo or wood will disintegrate eventually even if you soak them forever.

In a medium saucepan, bring the orange juice to a boil on high heat and reduce to 1/3 cup, about 3 minutes. Stir in the molasses and continue to boil until mixture reduces to 1/2 cup. Take off the fire.

Whisk in the garlic, salt and pepper. Throw in the beef cubes and toss to coat well. Thread the beef cubes on 8 metal skewers and grill over high heat turning frequently until meat is well browned 8 to 10 minutes.

Adapted from a recipe from American Test Kitchen :o)

Activity

Look up the Move it blog for a few pictures of our walking adventures during the Walk It Challenge.

We never had big groups of walkers, but we still had a very good time. I want to say a little and big Thank You to our walkers! Dan, Grace and I have really appreciated our Saturday excursions.

After giving it some serious thoughts, we decided not to keep walking on Saturday mornings over the summer. Both our schedules are a little crazy, so we do need some down time. If anybody wants to organize a walking group though, or several, I'll be happy to post on the blog about meeting times, contact infos and such.

This blog is for YOU!

Have a great week!

The beautiful weather, the bountiful markets, everything is there for us to stay on track. Graduations, weddings, baby showers, BBQs, everything is also there to lead us astray! Now more than ever, we need the meetings to keep the focus on what helps, and help each others navigate the things that might get in the way.

Never be afraid to contact me if you need anything. I will see you in the meeting room!!

Melanie

Success is a tale of obstacles overcome, and for every obstacle overcome, an excuse not used.
~Robert Brault

No comments:

Post a Comment