Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Eating in Real Life!

Daily PointsPlus Target: Check!
New PointsPlus Formula: Check!
New Activity PointsPlus: Check!

I got my New PointsPlus Food scale on the counter, my Deluxe Kit close at hand, a PointsPlus Calculator in the top drawer, my kitchen is like a Weight Watchers commercial!

Everything was in place to make 2011 the most successful year ever, and then… a platter of brownies showed up. What do I do???? I didn’t make them, there’s no PointsPlus value on the box, there is no box!

How can we make PointsPlus work in “Real Life”? In “Real Life” there is not always a scale right there, there is not always a box. In “Real Life” I don’t always want to eat fresh veggies, grilled chicken and whole grains. Sometimes I want a brownie!

This week we are discussing the art of Flexible Restraint. Why it is important to include little treats and goodies in our lifestyle and how we can do that without being derailed in our weight management efforts.

Hint: There is 49 reasons why it can work! ;o)

Tool of the week:

San Francisco has more restaurant per capita than most cities in the US, if not in the world! We love to eat out. Sometimes it can be challenging to go out, enjoy our favorites and still stay on plan. The Dinning Out companion is just the tool to help you do that!



It has all the major chains in the US and Canada, it has an ethnic & regional favorites list and finally an A to Z list of foods you find when eating out. It’s the perfect tool to help you keep on track when eating out!

In the Kitchen

This is a very basic version of a soup I make regularly. I sort of made it up as I went, and change if frequently. Feel free to switch vegetables and proteins around to fit whatever you have on hand :o)

Tilapia Miso Soup
2 servings, 4 P+/serving

Ingredients
Cooking spray
1 shallot, sliced
1 carrot sliced
6-8 asparagus, sliced
2 cup French green beans
2 cup chicken broth
1 packet Dashi mix (optional)
Dash soy sauce
12 oz tilapia, cut in chunks
1 TBSP white Miso Paste


Heat up a saucepan, coat with cooking spray and sauteed the shallot, the carrot, and the asparagus. In the meantime, mix the Dashi mix (if using) with the broth.

Add the broth and the soy sauce and the green beans and cook at lower fire for 5-6 minutes.

Add the fish chunks and cook until the fish is cooked (5 minutes or so). Take about ¼ cup of broth out of the pot and mix with the miso past in a little bowl, put back in the pot, turn off the fire and mix well.

Add on: you could add a tsp of dark sesame oil to each bowl (1 P+ added).

Note: Miso (and fish for that matter) does not reheat very well this recipe isn’t the best for leftovers. If you are making a bigger batch, I would not put in the Miso in the whole thing; add it to your bowl instead.

Activity

The sun is out! This week make sure to take some of your activity outside! Go walk, run, hike, bike!

It’s still winter, we might have more rain coming. Enjoy this while you can!

Have a good week

I’m always there if you need me! Email me at willow@seamountains.net for anything. I’ll answer any question except “How many PointsPlus is this?” ;op

Have an awesome week! I will see you in the meeting room!

Melanie

“Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.”
~ Oprah Winfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment